--- Begin Message ---
I just received a couple of the KB-5 units from a gentleman in Maine who makes
them. As you mentioned, I don't think the QB-18I transformers are in production
any longer. I got them on Ebay many years ago. They are an 18:1 unit. The s/n
difference was what was really pronounced. I live in a noisy area, which
influenced my choice with the ALA 1530ln. Living as far inland as I do, I
anticipated the need for amplification, as quiet as practical. The ALA 1530ln
was so quiet compared to what I was accustomed to, that at first I thought
something was wrong with the antenna. Further evaluation revealed that the s/n
of that antenna is simply head and shoulders above anything I had used in the
past. It was just behind the Conti loop as far as apparent gain and equivalent
in the s/n category. I would add that I thought that the s/n of either the KB-5
or the QB18I was also degraded by the introduction of the DX Engineering RPA-1
preamp. The "cleanest", most intelligible signals were with either the ALA
1530ln, or the other two transformers without amplification. This was my first
go at a vs b vs c testing, with me climbing up a ladder switching out antenna
transformers during the brief window of TP signals present at this location. I
must confess that a Grayland session right after the 2006 IRCA Convention
hosted by Pat Martin at Seaside left a sustained and indelible interest in TP
dxing on me! While health and other considerations influenced me to move back
down to town from the mountains where bogs and EWEs abounded, I will continue
to squeeze all of the blood out of this "turnip" that I can, hi!

Craig

 Interesting results
 Craig.   It sounds as if the FLG-100LN isn't

 functioning properly.  (first thought...power supply?)

 When you say "outperformed" was it in raw gain, signal to
 noise or ?

 I'm not familiar with either the  KB-5 or QB-18I.
 Are these no
 longer in production?

 best wishes,

 Nick

 At 14:17 17-09-16, you wrote:
 >I did some testing with transformers on my wnw Conti
 super loop this
 >morning. Between an FLG 100ln, a
 KB-5   MW/LW balun and an Erickson
 >QB-18I. Interestingly the KB-5 and QB-18I consistently
 outperformed
 >the FLG-100ln on the loop, with and without the use of
 the DX
 >Engineering RPA-1 preamp. The ALA 1530ln held it's own.
 I used JOUB
 >and 1566(presumed HLAZ) as the test frequencies. The
 test was
 >limited to challenging TP DX targets for the Midwest.

 Nick Hall-Patch
 Victoria, BC
 Canada

 Kansas City, September 9 to 11.  Hotel space is filling
 up.
 Registration info:
 http://www.nrcdxas.org

 Opinions expressed in messages on this mailing list are
 those of the original contributors and do not necessarily
 reflect the opinion of the IRCA, its editors, publishing
 staff, or officers

--- End Message ---