No, it is GTK > 2.14. Here is the code:

      char* hidemark = iupAttribGetStr(ih, "HIDEMARK");
      if (!hidemark && gtk_check_version(2, 14, 0) == NULL)
      {
        /* force HIDEMARK if VALUE is defined before Map, after GTK 2.14 */
        if (!iupAttribGet(ih, "VALUE"))
          hidemark = "YES";
      }

      if (iupStrBoolean(hidemark))
        ih->handle = gtk_menu_item_new_with_label("");
      else
        ih->handle = gtk_check_menu_item_new_with_label("");

  Maybe this code is not working for your system. Can you check it?

  We can change that to

#if GTK_CHECK_VERSION(2, 14, 0)
      if (!hidemark)

Best,