Tom, thanks for the advise but it didn't work...
However I did find the problem: my STB doesn't like having 2 SCART
connections at the same time. If I just use the HTPC the picture is fine but
as soon as I connect the TV the pictures on the HTPC misbehaves...:)

my STB is provided by NTL (virgin Media) in the UK and the model number is
DI4001DC.

hope this will help someone else.

Thanks,
Mil