>> Course of action #2:
>> Alternatively, if Mike Ellis can confirm that he never has tinny
>> audio
>> with a particular ivtv version (0.6.7), a diff between that and
>> version
>> 1.0.3 would show all the potential areas of a root cause in the
>> driver.
>> But the changes between these two versions are probably extensive.

Hi Andy.

I'm afraid you may have misunderstood my comments.

I did say that I settled on 0.6.7, but I did not mean to imply that
0.6.7 fixed the tinny audio problem.  In fact, I've been fighting the
tinny audio problem on my PVR500 since I setup my system back in
2006.  0.6.7 ended up being the best compromise for me based on the
kernel I want to use, but I've observed tinny audio all the way from
0.6.x through the 1.0.x drivers (I used 1.0.x when I was experimenting
with newer kernels -- I later reverted).

The folks I've spoken to who've worked around this problem use a
channel change script to toggle the audio settings each time the
channel changes, but I have been procrastinating in setting that up.

Put simply: the tinny audio problem appears regardless of whether you
are using earlier ivtv drivers for some of the most recent ones.
Consequently, I doubt the issue is due to a code change in the driver,
and it is more likely due to the way the chips are being configured.

Hope this helps.
Mike Ellis

Michael F. Ellis
President