footh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 03/17/2007 02:44:45 AM:

> Thanks for your response.
>
> The messages appear from calling the passed error
> handler's getErrorMessages() method so I'm assuming
> they're errors.

Sounds like your error handler may be swallowing the severity. I think if
you trace this back to the method the parser invoked you'll find that it's
a warning.

> I think you are misunderstanding my first message.
>
> An example of one of the import tags in the WSDL is this:
>
> <xsd:import
> namespace="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/"/>

I understood it. I'm not disagreeing that this is legal.

> Notice that there is NO schemaLocation attribute.
> This is perfectly legal per the XML Schema specs (the
> schemaLocation attribute is rated #IMPLIED, iow
> optional, see http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema.dtd).
> In other words, the code shouldn't even bother trying
> to look for anything.  Instead, it tries to look for
> 'null'.

It's not looking for 'null'. This ends up in the formatted message because
the replacement parameter for the schema location is missing.

> Basically, it's probably something as simple as adding
> something like this to the code:
>
> if schemaLocation not equal null
> then resolve the import (whatever the code does now)
> else
> do nothing

Schema processors have a lot more freedom than that. You should read:
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-1/#schema_reference. Xerces reports the
warning to inform the user that it attempted to locate a schema document
but didn't find one. Among other things, this helps diagnose issues with
lax wildcards since an import which does not resolve can affect the
validity of instances.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab