Am Samstag, 28. Dezember 2013, 15:59:40 schrieb Eric Koldeweij:
> Guido,
>
> Does your server have IPv6 connectivity? If not try to edit resolver.xml
> and comment out the line saying "<ipv6/>". I do not know for sure if
> it's your problem but it has given me similar connectivity issues in the
> past.

I do not have a resolver.xml anywhere.

<resolve-ipv6/> in s2s.xml was already commented out.

> Also from your log I see that not an answer but an error is returned:
> NXDomain means the nameserver reported that the requested domain does
> not exist. I have no idea why it would report that but maybe it's
> something like the Google DNS has some throttling, not allowing more
> than a certain amount of requests per second or something similar.
> Another possibility is a firewall issue. DNS uses UDP port 53 normally
> but it switches to TCP port 53 when the amount of information to
> transfer becomes larger. It might be possible that TCP port 53 is
> blocked while UDP port 53 is still open. It's a long shot but worth
> looking into.

I think you interpreted the dump wrong. What happened there was simply that
the local host sent three dns queries, one for jabber.org, one for
jabber.eof.name and one for freistaat-linden.de. It got two responses back,
one with correct SRV records for jabber.org, one with NXDomain for
jabber.eof.name, because jabber.eof.name does not have an SRV record
configured, and  think I cut off the response for freistaat-linden.de.

> I think you should install a nameserver like bind. All Linux distros I
> know (assuming you're running a Linux variant) offer bind and in almost
> all of them the caching nameserver is the default setting (so you won't
> need to configure anything to make it work). All you need to do is add
> "nameserver 127.0.0.1" before all other nameserver lines in your
> /etc/resolv.conf and my guess is that you will not be troubled by
> timeouts any more.

I can try that next, but I really really doubt the dns recursor is the problem
here.

        Guido