Some PCs and other equipment will tolerate 0-5v as RS232 comms. A lot more
wont and if you need RTS, CTS, DTR, DSR a MAX232 is the way to go.

I made up a utility board driven via my Wisp programmer's supply that's very
handy for linking up projects under test to a PC.

I've got some schematics and overlays if anyone wants the info.

Rich G-G
  -----Original Message-----
  From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]]on Behalf Of
Sebastien Lelong
  Sent: 21 July 2009 17:49
  To: [email protected]
  Subject: [jallib] Re: jaluino (first schematic... Richard ?)



    Nice schematic, I can't wait to see the layout. I know PICAXE chips
    (in fact, Microchip microcontrllers) are connected to serial interface
    via 3 resistors, no MAX chip between... and everything is just fine.

  I think this assumes the peripheral on the other side (eg. a PC)
understands RS232 level between 0 and 5V, instead of -12V and +12V. It's
sometime the case, and to be sure, using a MAX232 chip is better. That said,
with the "plug your own serial module" option, you can choose whatever you
want. This gives a fourth option, a the cheap side, so we new have:

    - FTDI chip based USB-to-serial adaptor
    - 18F14K50 based USB-to-serial adaptor
    - MAX232 based, with DB9 connector
    - resistor based, with DB9 connector
    - (and last option: "my own way to deal with serial")



  Some more thoughts about the board. Original Arduino Diecimila uses a
Atmega168, a 28-pins chip.
  See: http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardDiecimila . From this, 20 pins
are "exported" through connectors on sides, where 2 pin are dedicated to
RX/TX, thus involved in board's functionality (I mean there aren't
completely free, as they are involved in serial).

  Using a 18F4550, there are a lot more pins: 40. From these 40 pins, only
33 can be used: 2 x 2 pins for Vss/Vdd, 1 pin for MCLR, and 2 pin for
OSC/Xtal. The board will provide serial (2 pins), USB (3 pins), optionally
I²C (2 pin). Even if these pins are already involved in something on the
board (a functionality), I think they all should be exported. This will
finally give 33 pins which can be exported, plug to side connectors. This is
15 pins more than official Arduino.

  My question is: how will we be pin-compatible with existing Arduino
shields ? My answer would be: Jaluino board won't be compatible, but we can
design a shield to it adapts Jaluino to Arduino connectors.


  Any suggestions, advices, comments, ... ?


  Also note some Arduino-like big fat boards, with far more than 28-pin chip
exist:
  http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardMega
  http://www.liquidware.com/shop/show/ILL/Illuminato




  Seb
  --
  Sébastien Lelong
  http://www.sirloon.net
  http://sirbot.org

  

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to