Hi Joep,

2011/8/14 Joep Suijs <[email protected]>

>
> > I could argue that:
> >  -  people would just dump their code onto the SVN repository, as a
> "don't
> > touch this" piece of work. Why putting this in jallib ? A private,
> personal
> > SVN would be better.
> To have the functions available for the community?
>

Should we run some kind of sanboxes in SVN ? (if yes, not in the trunk, not
to wake buildbot, and most importantly, to keep code separated from
jallib's)


>
> >  - and if a change requires the library to be updated (typically a change
> > within device files), and if author object any changes on his lib, how do
> we
> > handle this change ? We could be stuck...
> It is quite unlikely an author objects to changes required to stay
> compatible with jallib, to fix bugs, minor improvements and
> extensions. The discussions so far have been about changes that result
> in significant different code.
>

> > I understand how critical some code can be, and how reluctant one could
> be
> > when some precious production code is running well, after weeks of
> testing.
> > Clearly, I understand. But, again, that shouldn't be an obstacle to
> changes
> > (I'm not talking about this case, previous case, or whatever, but in
> > general). And, again, SVN is here to help, by keeping the exact code
> version
> > that was used to procude the precious production code. Anyone can move
> back
> > to past revisions in order to find their lib.
>
> What I suggested was a way to deal with this recurring issue. You
> argue against it, but I don't understand how you suggest to handle
> this. Leave it as is and have this discussion about each occurrence?
>


I'm not against your way to handle this, nor am I on the extreme, I'm just
throwing some arguments from the devil's advocate :)


> Grant everybody the option to change any library and discuss the
> changes afterwards?
>

Shared authorship ?


> The point is SMART criteria are difficult, since (absence of)
> reliability can only be determined afterwards, resource use vs
> functionality is highly dependent on the nature of ones project and
> the value of specific arguments is often personal preference too. I
> can only imagine the one with the most arguments, most messages or
> longest messages wins ;) Well, except for the majority vote like Matt
> suggested of course...
>
> Like you, I see the interest of the community. But I don't think it is
> wise to allow anyone to make any change he likes (as opposed to the
> author to object to any change).
>

Yes, I agree, it's not wise to allow anyone to make any changes he likes,
nor it is wise to object any changes as well. There's a treshold here,
that's why it's hard to get a consensus. And that's why I'm throwing rough
arguments on the table from the extremes (though I don't mind them), because
none of the extreme should be allowed.


> But most importantly, I hope we can agree on some general rules
> (guidelines) how to deal with this kind of situations and avoid these
> long discussions in the future.
>

Sure. I've already put a lot in this kind of discussion, I may stay quiet
and see what happen :)

cheers,
Seb

-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"jallib" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected].
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected].
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/jallib?hl=en.

Reply via email to