> In SMTPHandler::handleConnection() method, why do we use the avalon
> scheduler & trigger mechanism to handle a connection timeout?
> Instead why don't we use the java.net.Socket.setSoTimeout(timeout) method,

Please consider the code:

  final PeriodicTimeTrigger trigger = new PeriodicTimeTrigger(
timeout, -1 );
  scheduler.addTrigger( this.toString(), trigger, this );
  while  (parseCommand(in.readLine()))
scheduler.resetTrigger(this.toString());
  socket.close();
  scheduler.removeTrigger(this.toString());

Note that the trigger protects more than just socket I/O.  It covers the
processing of the command (parseCommand does a lot more than just parse).

        --- Noel