"You" is very hard to use in Japanese. I've been
studying the language for a long time (10+ years) and
have spent a year on high school exchange as well as
studying engineering in grad school now (for 2.5
years). Many people address each other using their
names or without a reference to you at all - I assume
this is another part of the non-direct/assuming nature
of Japanese language.

"Nan da yo" can be used with your friends as in saying
"What?" but it's more of a "What do you want!" It can
also be used in fights and in an insulting manner.

Regarding keigo, it's a great experience being in a
Japanese research lab, which is similar to an office
setting. I'm a 1st year Master's student, so I talk to
all those students above me (2nd year Master's,
Doctorate, etc.) in the generic formal language, then
even more formal (honorific) in regards to the
teachers/professors. Those below me (only the final
year undergraduates) do I talk informally (i.e.
talking 'down' to them).

I find it difficult to feel like I have made
friendships - there's the guy sitting next to me who
I'm closest with, but I'm always talking politely to
him as he's the year above me. It feels like there is
a barrier there, but perhaps that's just my view being
a foreigner. You're just expressing your relationship
in terms of keigo?

--- Marina Jovanoviæ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > I see. So "Nan da yo?" said by a flirtatious woman
> and a neurotic
> > gangster are two different things. Right?
> 
> Well, "Nan da yo?" is along the lines of a very
> irritated and impatient
> "WHAT!?" It's not really an insult, it's just rude.
> So you may expect that
> anyone saying that is really not pleased with you.
> Japanese insults are much more subtle than that.
> Sure, there are open
> insults and swear words, but in Japanese, depending
> on the situation,
> someone can offend you by simply using the wrong
> word for "you". Or
> pronouncing that word with the wrong voice. Or by
> using "you" at all. It's
> all in the context.
> 
> > I see. Again. Then again, using the wrong style of
> speech in the
> > wrong situation is the same as taboo speech, as
> far as I know.
> > Imagine using "hanashikotoba" when speaking to a
> doctor, vs.
> > using "sonkeigo" when talking to your friends. An
> elderly man once
> > told me not to use any "sonkeigo" in my [e-mail]
> conversations with
> > him, but instead to use "teineigo"; using "agaru"
> with my verbs
> > seemed snobbish on my part.
> 
> Well, you'd talk politely to an elderly person you
> respect in English too,
> right? Makes sense.
> English doesn't have that distinction, but, for
> example, in French and my
> own language (Serbian) there are different words and
> for talking to someone
> who you know well and someone you don't
> know/respect/who is older than you.
> 
> > That is why I am seriously studying what style to
> use in what
> > situation. If I make friends, I do not want to be
> caught in the know-
> > nothing and my Japanese sounding "unnatural". I
> have yet to master
> > the different styles of speech found in Japanese.
> I may even be
> > required to address the Emperor or one of his
> household. (Unlikely,
> > but you never know.)
> 
> You'd use "keigo" with someone so high up the
> ladder, but as you said,
> you're not that likely to need it :)
> 
> Marina
> 
> 
> 
> On 2/15/07, ai3131 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >   --- In
>
[email protected]<Japanese_Language%40yahoogroups.com>,
> > Ainslie Mark
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > Learning insults are fun and a small, but
> important
> > > part of language learning. Japanese insults are
> > > (mostly) different to Western (English) insults
> in
> > > that it is generally the tone of the voice and
> body
> > > language that turn a word into an insult.>
> >
> > I see. So "Nan da yo?" said by a flirtatious woman
> and a neurotic
> > gangster are two different things. Right?
> >
> > > Often high school students use this kind of
> language,
> > > but in an affectionate way. I remember being
> called
> > > 'ba--ka!' when I was an exchange student -
> whenever I
> > > made a silly joke - you know the kind of joke
> only
> > > your parents might say!>
> >
> > I see. Again. Then again, using the wrong style of
> speech in the
> > wrong situation is the same as taboo speech, as
> far as I know.
> > Imagine using "hanashikotoba" when speaking to a
> doctor, vs.
> > using "sonkeigo" when talking to your friends. An
> elderly man once
> > told me not to use any "sonkeigo" in my [e-mail]
> conversations with
> > him, but instead to use "teineigo"; using "agaru"
> with my verbs
> > seemed snobbish on my part.
> >
> > > If you were just to know 'textbook' (formal)
> Japanese,
> > > it comes across as stiff and as a barrier to
> effective
> > > communication, so learning slang (including
> insults)
> > > puts you on a more intimate level with Japanese
> > > people. I'd feel more at home with a non-native
> > > English speaker who said 'G'day mate, how are
> ya?'
> > > (yes, I'm an Aussie), than someone who spoke
> formally
> > > and said 'Good day, sir. How goes you on this
> fine
> > > day? ' It's just not right ...
> > >
> > > Mark>
> >
> > That is why I am seriously studying what style to
> use in what
> > situation. If I make friends, I do not want to be
> caught in the know-
> > nothing and my Japanese sounding "unnatural". I
> have yet to master
> > the different styles of speech found in Japanese.
> I may even be
> > required to address the Emperor or one of his
> household. (Unlikely,
> > but you never know.)
> >
> > - Arian I.
> >
> >  
> >
> 
> 
> [Non-text portions of this message have been
> removed]
> 
> 


Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com 


 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Japanese_Language/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] 
    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 

Reply via email to