On Jan 19, 2007, at 1:34 PM, Steven Parkes wrote:
There are two other pieces: generic rails support (for any rails app,
basically akin to ActiveRecord for Lucene) and then there's the app,
itself.

I see two ways to do this:

contrib/jruby/lib (generic juby)
             /rails (rails support)
             /app(s)

I'd go with this layout for now, and if things need to change, well, there is always svn move :)

I did look briefly at the solrb API when Erik mentioned it a little
while ago. There's some overlap. I think (though this changes by the
hour) that solrb is more akin to the rails/activerecord level of
abstraction than the lucene index level.

That's the long-term goal.  For now its much lower-level:

        <http://wiki.apache.org/solr/solrb>

The lower-level stuff is necessary to enable the higher-level facilities which will need to leverage Solr quite flexibly.

Though who knows? And I'm
interested in both. While the application-enablement is a big part, to
start with I'm interested in looking at the index guts. In my dreams,
I'd like to be able to examine posting lists, payloads when they happen

solrb needs a bit of the index guts too... for things like AJAX suggest while a user is typing, to show terms in the index, and we'll be adding more Lucene introspection into Solr to allow a client to glean the field namess and their types in the index.

        Erik