On Mon, Sep 04, 2006 at 08:49:43PM +0200, Johan Vos wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I did the port to Linux/SPARC for JDK 1.2, but I don't have a performant
> Linux/Sparc machine anymore and 1.5 is very different from 1.2. Apart
> from that, I don't think there is a huge interest in Linux/SPARC
> anymore, as Solaris indeed moved to Open Source.
>
> - Johan

I have a sparc as my main gateway. I have linux on it and plans to keep
it like this.

I've been bitten by the java JVM 1.4.1b not in shape.

I've tried to recompile from JVM 1.2, which went almost to the end
(there is some problem with a float to text conversion wich makes the
build choke).

This one is almost ok. But almost is not ok. I don't know if there are
more bugs lurking behing the surface.

I've been able to build it because the sources were available.

For 1.3, 1.4 and 1.5, the diffs against the source are not even
available.

Don't know why. Licence didn't changed, and diffs of previous JVM were
released, leading me to the conclusion that it was ok to release diffs
against the SUN source.

The hotspot client and server VM has already been ported on the
linux/sparc architecture but noone seems to maintains it anymore.

Some people released a beta or some earlier work, but no final version
were ever released for arch other than x86 and x86-64.

There seems to be lacking some continuity in the blackdown's efforts.

However, I'm confident that the efforts needed to reactivate the
java port should be minimal.
Maybe a refresh build for 1.4.1b to make it work with the new glibc
should be enough to have a working port again. At least enough to use
J2EE and tomcat (which is the most needed apps on sparc/linux).

Look at the BSD effort, they keep the diffs available against all java
JVM.

This is IMHO the way to go. If we only could have the diffs of the
impressive work the blackdown team did, it would be a great step toward
a working JVM for sparc.

        Seb