On Wed, 06 Sep 2006 18:43:51 +1000
Dan Rossi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ok getting off topic here, nope ubuntu and freebsd partitions 160GB ,
> solaris only manages to see 130GB to partition on top of this the
> original drive that was in my fire v100 rack is now not usable in
> solaris as it was partitioned from the ubuntu installer , even
> deleting the partition solaris cant use it :) Habve to work out what
> bootable partition software can prepare the drive for solaris as its
> tools are shotty.

As far as I can ascertain (I've no experience with SPARC/ID boxes),
there is a driver problem (no LBA48 support) with certain IDE chipsets
on SPARC, which could explain why Solaris 10 only sees 128MB on your
V100 (which Sun might or might not bother to fix since they only support
80GB drives in the V100).

The current SPARC workstations do support large SATA drives.

It could be that the Ubuntu installer wrote a label that Solaris
doesn't recognise. Can you boot from CD and use the "format" command to
write a new label to the disk? That should make it visible again.
AFAIK, Linux can be built with Sun disklabel support, which seems to
indicate that without this support, it might be unkind to Solaris
devices.

You might want to try Solaris Express, the regular preview releases of
Solaris 11. Drivers and driver improvements appear in Solaris Express
usually quite a while before they make it into the supported release:

http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/solaris-express/get.jsp

Take care,

--
Stefaan