On 1/10/07, Mark Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

The subtle part is that a scoring system is being used that operates in
something of a boolean fashion, but that has subtle difference.

Mark, -thank you-.  This explains it beautifully.

So, if I understand you right, a simple query of NOT ORANGES gets me every
document that does not contain the word oranges, while a separate query with
-ORANGES added will force the score to zero for all documents in which
oranges does not appear.  One's a selector, the other is a filter.

The + operator, in turn, simply affects the score (which is used for
ranking).  Anything with a non-zero score is returned, but the better the
score, the more prominent it is in the ordered result list.

Do I have correct and complete understanding of the two operators?

-wls