I'm a web developer with an interest in screen reader issues who uses
Mac OS X, Windows XP, and Ubuntu Linux, just so you know where I'm
coming from.

There is no JAWS for the Mac.

For Mac OS 9, there was a screen reader called outSPOKEN sold by Alva,
who have now gone out of business, though you may be able to find a
second-hand copy.

That's the bad news. The good news is Apple built a screen reader called
VoiceOver into their new operating system, Mac OS X.

For an introduction to VoiceOver see:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/voiceover/

For more details see:

http://www.apple.com/accessibility/voiceover/

Key software usable with VoiceOver includes the bundled Apple Mail
program, the bundled Safari web browser, Adobe Reader, and (just
recently added) ITunes. Microsoft Office for the Mac has not yet been
made accessible with VoiceOver, but you can use other software capable
of basic editing of Office files. Your message doesn't say what you need
to use a Mac for so I'm not sure what software you'd need. Firefox is
not yet accessible with VoiceOver, partly because the developer working
on this found another job. However, it can be used as a talking browser
on the Mac with the excellent Fire Vox extension:

http://www.firevox.clcworld.net/

A future version of the free Opera browser will apparently also be
usable with VoiceOver:

http://my.opera.com/chaals/blog/speaking-out?cid=2506923

Questions about VoiceOver are best addressed to the discussion list for
http://macvisionaries.com/:

Darcy Burnard and Holly Anderson record a podcast for VoiceOver users:

http://www.screenlessswitchers.com/

The BBC maintains a collection of Mac accessibility hints:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/accessibility/mac/sub_root.shtml

PS Just so you know, Mac is written with the M in uppercase and the a
and c in lowercase, not MAC all in capitals. When all in capitals, MAC
typically refers to a unique identifier for a networking card:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAC_address

Hope that helps.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis