You may also find, as I did, that you need to change the file type combo box
to the "all files" option, the bottom of the 5 choices.  Otherwise, all you
would find in your file list would be the Jarte default file format, .rtf.

Specifically, with Jarte running, press control + o to open the file
directory dialog.  This opens a typical and very familiar File Explorer
dialog.  Tab once to the file type combo.  The 5 listed options are, in
order, as follows:

Rich Text Format (*.rtf)
Word Documents (*.doc)
Word 2007 Documents (*.docx)
Plain Text (*.txt)
All files (*.*)

[Note that to capture this list, I used the JAWS speech history option, JAWS
key + space bar, then h.  The resulting window has all this in plain text
that I just copied and pasted]

On that list, if you want to see just .doc, .docx, or .txt files only, arrow
to the format you want and press enter.  If you want to see all files in the
folder, arrow to the bottom and press enter on "all files".

Now you can tab, or shift tab twice, to the list of files, and there they
are!

I have not figured out a way to have Jarte maintain the all-files setting,
so remember to first set the file type box whenever you want to use the
Jarte file directory.

The hint below about first finding a file and then doing the "open with
Jarte" option also works.

Tim Ford