Hi, Laura.

Rose previously posted a message that was critical of the JAWS virtual ribbon
that I agree with. For one thing, it prevents you from using familiar
shortcuts. In a bigger picture sense that might or might not matter to you,
avoiding the regular Microsoft ribbon will make it more difficult to get
sighted assistance, since they won't know anything about the JAWS virtual
ribbon. For this and other reasons, I prefer to use the MS ribbons.

Each of us has a different way of learning the MS ribbons. Whenever possible, I
will use a shortcut instead of delving into the ribbon. For example, I'll press
control-d to get to the font dialog rather than go hunting for it in the
ribbon.

Another way of getting around the ribbons is to use the applications key,
between the right Windows and control keys on most keyboards. This is where I
go for the dialog that takes you through line-spacing, margins, etc.

But then there are the times when you must use the ribbon. Here, you may find
yourself remembering what are called key tips. For example, when I want to
place the page number at a certain point on a page (top left, top middle,
etc.), I press the following keys: alt+n together for "insert," and then n, u
in quick succession. I'm immediately in the right dialog.

When you explore the MS ribbons, listen carefully for these key tips. I find
they aren't always easy to hear, but usually I can make them out. The example I
just gave will be verbalized when you go through the "insert" part of the
ribbon.

I'm not pretending to give you an exhaustive explanation of the MS ribbons, but
I hope it might help you think about how to approach them. Shortcuts,
applications key, key tips, in that order of simplicity. When I first faced the
MS ribbons, I was intimidated. I shouldn't have been. Just learn what you need
as the need arises. And never hesitate to post questions here.