From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Randy Barnett
Sent: October 25, 2017 6:19 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Firefox Quantum is coming, and it doesn't like
screen-readers

Yeah, I have been using jaws since the mid 90's and see the same issues you
do with the modern approach to Windows and other software. This is a hard
time to be a blind PC user. Hearing about how cool this or that is on the
web and how everyone can find out anything and everything while I struggle
with a captcha or have jaws drowned out by a video ad or try to find some
news on a site that is constantly updating and has inaccessible links buried
in a ton of java or flash  sucks.
On 10/25/2017 2:57 PM, JM Casey wrote:
> So..
>
> Has anyone Hey folks. Haven't seen any discussion about this yet. On
> another list, someone posted an article about this, which I cannot
> seem to find the URL for, but if people are interested I guess I could
> cross-post it. In
> brief: Firefox Quantum has a new "multiprocessing" approach that means
> it will be twice as fast for everyone else, but it will not play
> nicely with JAWS or other screen-readers. We're essentially at the
> same stage now (or will be come November) as we are with Edge, in that
> it's going to be a work in progress for quite some time, and from what
> I've read, it may be difficult to continue implementing the virtual
> buffer concept. This is, to me, annoying to say the least, as I use
> Firefox all the time and have been really happy with it up til now. I
> also think the virutal buffer a great innovation for web browsing and
> would hate to give it up, unless a better alternative was developed.
>

> Has anyone thoughts on this? I used to laugh at "old people" (in
> quotes there, in case you have punctuation set to "some" or "none")
> who moaned about things changing too fast and that they couldn't keep
> up. Now, at 37, I'm feeling the bite. I'm happy to no longer be using
> Windows XP, yet it seems like every month (since getting Windows 10
> and JAWS 18 in particular), there's some new thing I have to fix that
> wasn't broken before; some time I have to spend figuring a workaround
> to one thing or another, or a doomful press release about how I won't
> be able to use this-or-that once a certain update happens.
>

> Fortunately, for us Firefox users, I guess we can still install the
> ESR (Extended Support Release) of the browser, and get security
> updates, without a Quantum upgrade, until sometime in 2018. Guess I'll be
doing that, then!

Sincerely: Randy Barnett (Owner)
Soundtique
Grants Pass, Oregon.