Thank you, Fernando, for recognizing the problem I was trying to describe in my
two recent posts, after I'd done a poor job with the first.

As you suggest, a shift-tab followed by tab brings focus to the URL edit line.
Turning off the virtual cursor does the same thing. Either one is an extra step
compared to IE11, but a minor inconvenience.

That said, I wonder if the new tab screen can be simplified. I don't see how to
delete some of the information presented there. Yes, I could delete some of the
websites Firefox has picked up from previous searches, but it's useful to type
in just the first few letters when I want them. However, why Firefox feels
compelled to list them when IE11 doesn't is beyond me.

Before I get to the list of websites on this screen, I'm confronted with a slew
of useless verbiage that I'd love to remove. I'll close this post with a copy
of that part of the screen:

New Tab
NEW TAB CONTROLS
Show your top sites