I just ran into the same problem this weekend. It happened after installing
jaws 9 thumb drive version onto the external hard drive and then trying to boot
up the computer with the drive inserted.
Is there anything in particular that you have recently put on your external
drive? Perhaps it's interfering with the start-up. I can't say much beyond
that, though as I didn't ever exactly figure out what happened with my problem
either.

Kate