What is DNS, and what does it do?

Patti

Hi,

On an XP(SP3) machine:

To speed up my machine I clear out the Windows Prefetch folder a couple of
times a week. In addition I flush the DNS resolver cache at about the same
frequency.  Defragmenting the hard disk is usually the biggest save,
although you might want to consider scheduling a page file defragmentation
at start up.

I use DiskKeeper to schedule a page defrag, but this is a little involved
and you either need to buy the thing or get a 30 day trial.

NB: to flush the DNS click on the 'RUN' icon on the start menu and type the
following between the () exactly:
(ipconfig /flushdns)

You must be logged in as administrator.

Thanks,
Grayham

Aviva is the trading name for the principal subsidiaries of the Aviva Group in the United Kingdom.
The principal subsidiaries are:
Aviva Insurance UK Limited.
Registered Office 8 Surrey Street, Norwich, Norfolk NR1 3NG.
Registered in England Number 99122.
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

Aviva Life Services UK Limited.
Registered Office 2 Rougier Street, York YO90 1UU.
Registered in England Number 2403746.
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

Aviva Health UK Limited.
Registered Office 8 Surrey Street, Norwich, Norfolk NR1 3NG.
Registered in England Number 2464270.
Authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

This email and any files sent with it are intended only for the named
recipient. If you are not the named recipient please telephone/email
the sender immediately. You should not disclose the content or
take/retain/distribute any copies.

jaws-users-list-ow...@jaws-users.com

jaws-users-list-ow...@jaws-users.com