Sarah,

I really think that people are telling you something that doesn't apply on your HP computer. Here is the info I referenced a couple days ago, and the link to the HP support site is below that. You'll need somebody to read the screen when you go into the Bios settings to change this.

Support details
On most HP and Compaq notebook PCs, it is necessary to press and hold the function key (fn) while pressing one of the f1 through f12 keys to activate the default functions; such as, increasing or decreasing the brightness of the display, the sound volume, sleep, keyboard lock, etc. On the HP Envy notebooks and other notebooks with advanced BIOS options, the function keys can be configured so that it is not necessary to press and hold the fn key.

1 - Function Keys f1 through f12
2 - Configurable Function key fn
Disable fn in the BIOS
To disable, or enable, the function key (fn) in the BIOS, do the following steps.
list of 6 items
1. Press the power button to turn on the computer.
2. Press the f10 key to open the BIOS setup window.
3. Use the right-arrow or left-arrow keys to navigate to the System Configuration option.

4. Use the up-arrow or down-arrow keys to navigate to the Action Keys Mode option, and then press the enter key to display the Enable / Disable menu.
5. Select the desired mode:
list of 2 items nesting level 1
. Disabled : Requires pressing fn key + f1 through f12 to use the action as indicated on the action key. For example, if Disabled , pressing fn + f11 will mute the sound as indicated on the key on this model PC. Alternatively, pressing f11 only will minimize
and maximize a web browser if open.
The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.
. Enabled : Requires pressing only f1 through f12 to use the action as indicated on the action keys. For example, if Enabled , pressing f11 only will mute the sound as indicated on the key on this model PC. Alternatively, pressing fn + f11 will minimize
and maximize a web browser if open.
The action keys may vary depending on the model of notebook.
list end nesting level 1
6. Press f10 key to save the selection and restart the computer.
list end
The function key (fn) option can be reset at any time.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c02035108

Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.

Steve
Lansing, MI