Hi Brad,

Here is a tutorial I wrote some time ago on how to create, manage and play
Winamp playlists.

This should answer most of your questions, however, this is quite an old
tutorial, and some keystrokes have been discovered that make creating
playlists much easier than the methods outlined in the below tutorial.

For example, if you would like to play all the files within a specific
folder, simply highlight the folder, then press your applications key, or
shift+F10 if you are without such a key, and press P for play in Winamp.
Depending on what else you have that starts with the letter P within that
context menu, you'll either have to press enter on that option, or the
command will activate right away.  You'll have to decide which is the case
for your particular situation or computer configuration.

Also, you can do the same with specific songs within the same folder by
going into a particular folder, pressing the end key to go to the bottom of
the file list, and pressing control+up arrow selecting the tracks you wish
to include in the playlist with control+spacebar.  Once you've selected all
the tracks you wish to play, press the applications menu or shift+F10 and
press P for play in Winamp and the songs will automatically be placed in a
Winamp playlist which you can then save for later access.

Also, should you wish to add more songs to the above playlist, go into the
second folder, or third or fourth, depending on how many times you wish to
go into and out of folders, follow the same steps as above for selecting
tracks to include, then once all the songs are selected, press the
applications menu or shift+F10 and arrow down to add to Winamp, and the
tracks you selected will be placed at the bottom of the playlist you created
from the previous folder.  You can do this for as many songs or tracks you'd
like in however many folders you wish to include.

Once you've added all the songs, just save the playlist like the
instructions below.

There are other shortcut steps I've discovered, but those will come at a
later time when I've updated the tutorial.

In the meantime, hope the below tutorial helps in some way.

***Begin Tutorial***

Believe it or not, it's easier to create a playlist with Winamp, than it
sounds.

First, go to your desktop, or where ever you keep the Winamp shortcut, and
enter on it.

Once the Winamp window opens, control+tab twice to get to the playlist
editor.

If you find that you've used the control+tab keystroke twice, and Jaws
didn't say playlist editor, then that means you have the playlist editor
closed.

You can open it in one of two ways.

You can press the keystroke of alt+E, or you can press alt+F, then arrow
down to playlist editor and enter on it.

I think you'll find the alt+E keystroke is easier.  Smile.

In any case, once Jaws reports that the playlist editor is opened,
control+tab up to the playlist editor.

Now, this is going to sound weird, but go with me on this.

Once you land in the playlist editor, press control+A to highlight
everything, then press delete.

Don't worry if Jaws doesn't say anything, what you've essentially done is
delete any tracks that were in there from the last time you used Winamp to
listen to something.

Unfortunately, Winamp likes to leave residual ghost images of files it's
played in the last instance, and so, in order to create a clean playlist,
you have to delete what was previously there.

So, now that you've done that, press the letter L for lists, and this will
open up an open dialog box.

Those of you familiar with downloading from send space, or saving as and the
like, will be familiar with this dialog box.

When this dialog box opens, you'll land on the filename edit box.  Do a
shift+tab to go to the file list window just above the filename edit box.

Now, depending on where you last took Winamp, you won't know where you'll be
in the file list, so a good rule of thumb is to press the backspace key
seven or eight times until Jaws stops talking.

When he does, do a say line command with insert+up arrow, and Jaws should
read out, "Not Selected My Documents".

This means you're on your desktop, and you can now go to the folder where
the files are that you want to play.

So, if the files are in a folder three levels deep into your my documents
folder, let's call it Thea's audio files, you would press the spacebar to
select My Documents, press the enter key to go into that folder, then arrow
or find the folder titled Thea's Personal Files, highlight it, then press
enter.

Once in that folder, find the next folder, called Thea in Hawaii, enter on
it, and finally go to Thea's audio files, and press enter.

Be careful here, you don't want to make a common mistake that everyone
makes, even me before I realized it, smile, do not touch any of the arrow
keys, or the spacebar key, or anything on your keyboard until you've done a
select all with control+A, and I'll explain later.

Once you've done the control+A, tab to the open button in the dialog box,
and press the spacebar to allow Winamp to place all the files you just
selected into the playlist.

Now, the reason I said not to touch anything once you land in the folder is
because Winamp, and, indeed, Windows, in it's infinite wisdom, has a little
bug.

In most cases, when you're selecting a bunch of files to transfer over to
another drive or whatever, say you want all the files except for the first
one, a person using common sense would arrow down to the second file, then
press control+shift+end to highlight all the files from that point downward.
Once they're selected, the person would copy or cut the files, go to the
destination where they want the file placed, then paste them in there.

Only one problem, you suddenly notice that the last file that was at the
bottom of the list, is now at the beginning of the file list.

In fact, it doesn't correct itself until you refresh the screen with F5, or
until you back out of the folder and come back in.

This is a common problem with Windows, Winamp, and some MP3 players, like
RCA's line of MP3 players, especially the really cheap earlier versions.
One would highlight an entire list of files in a folder, paste it onto the
MP3 player, and the last file would invariably play first, then loop back to
the beginning of the book.

In essence, the person would have to place the files on the MP3 player, one
at a time.  Frustrating, to say the least, and I should know, I used to own
one.  Smile.

Well, this is what Winamp does, so arrow through the files using your up and
down arrows to see if the files in are their correct order.

If you find that the last file has been placed as the number one file,
simply delete it with the delete key, press the letter L for list again, and
when the dialog box pops up, shift+tab to the file list window, and arrow
down to the file you wish to add.  Once highlighted, press the enter key,
and the file will magically appear at the bottom of the list.

If you don't really care what file is played first, go ahead and leave it
the way it is.  This may sometimes be the case with music files, or movies
that don't join into each other, like sequels and stuff.

Which ever the case, this is how you add files to the playlist.

Once the files have been added, some of Winamp's earlier versions used to
place the person back in the Winamp main window, and if that's the case,
control+tab back up to the playlist editor, and if you've been taken back to
the playlist editor after adding the files, congratulations, and just skip
to the next paragraph.

So now that the files are added, you want to save the playlist so you can go
back to it when you need or want to listen to it.  To do this, press the
control+S keystroke, like in most applications, and you'll get the save as
dialog box again, but this time, it'll be to save the file, as opposed to
opening it up, like the last dialog box.

First do a shift+tab to go to the file list, and again, backspace seven or
eight times to get to your desktop.

Once in the desktop, navigate to the folder where you wish to place the
playlist file.

If you want to keep the file on your desktop for easier access, then do
nothing and tab to the file name edit box.  Those of you who are going to
place this file into a folder other then the desktop, navigate to the folder
you want to place the playlist file in, similar to the way you looked for
the files to add to the playlist, and, once in the folder, tab to the
filename edit box.

Now that both of you are on the same page, enter the name of the filename
you want to give the playlist.  Do not add an extension, Winamp will
automatically do this for you.  So, let's, for the sake of argument, name
the file, "Thea's Carnal Cravings", evil grin, type that in, and if you want
Winamp to use the default file extension of M3U, you need do nothing else
except to press the enter key and you're done, the playlist is set up and
saved on your hard drive, and you can listen to the files you've placed in
the playlist when ever you want.  At this point, you can now just arrow down
to the bottom of this message for the notes on playlists that I've included
at the bottom of this message.

If you don't want to save it using the default extension, you have to tab
once to the file types combo box, and select the type of extension you wish
to give the file name.

There are several playlist extensions to choose from, and usually Winamp
will handle all of them, unless you've got another program set to handle
playlist files.  In any case, arrow up or down to the file extension you
want Winamp to place on the end of Thea's Carnal Cravings, then tab to the
save button, and you're done.

the file is now saved in the folder you wanted it to be saved in.

If you want the file extension to remain M3U, then by all means, do like the
other person did, and press the enter key once you're done entering the file
name in the edit box.

Now, some notes on playlists, what they are, what they do, and some tips or
tricks that may or may not help you in listening to them.

First, a bit about what playlists are.

Playlists are exactly as the name denotes, a list of files that Winamp
should play in the sequence you specified.  You told Winamp what files you
wanted to add to the list of files to play, told Winamp where to find those
files, and which order to play them in.  This is the purpose of a playlist
file, so you don't have to keep coming back to Winamp when you've finished
the last file, and having to open or enter on the next file to open.

The playlist file actually is only a shopping list of sorts, or, for the
technically inclined among you, they are essentially databases you've just
created using Winamp with the following information:

Name of file to play;
Location  of file to play;
order in which to play the file;

It probably has a whole bunch of other information in it that I haven't
specified here, but there's a fine line between a tutorial file, and chicken
scratch you don't understand.  Besides, I probably wouldn't understand it
enough to explain it myself.  Smile.

So, basically, that's all a playlist file is.

You cannot expect to save a playlist file on your computer, then cart it
away on a USB stick, or e-mail it to a friend, and expect them to play the
file on their computer, or you plug in your USB stick and expect it to play
on the other computer.

No folks, you must include the files, right along with the playlist file if
you have any hopes of the playlist actually working on someone else's
computer.

In terms of handling playlist files, I guess it depends on how many files
you've actually got in the playlist.

for example, if you've got a hundred files in the playlist, as I sometimes
do when I place entire television series in the playlist and listen to them
as I go along, I will often delete the file I've just listened to, to make
it easier for me to find my spot, which I'll explain later in a few seconds.

To do this, once you've gone to the next file after the one you want to
delete, go to the playlist editor, arrow up to the file you've just listened
to, and simply press the delete key to remove it.

Once the track is removed from the list, control+S to save the playlist
again, where it will ask you if you want to save over it, and you say yes to
that question.

This will ensure that your changes take affect for next time you open up the
playlist.

Now, about what I said earlier about making it easier to find your place.

As you may or may not know, pressing the letter M in Winamp, while a file is
open, will insert a place marker, or bookmark in the track, so you can come
back and listen to the track from that point forward.

To do this, press the letter M, and a dialog box will open up, asking you to
name the place marker.  Go ahead and type the name of the place marker, then
press enter to add the place marker to the track.

To recall or return to the place marker later on in the day or when ever,
press alt+shift+M, and a dialog box will open up with the list of place
markers for the current track.  Select the one you wish to go to, and press
enter on it.

Now, the reason I said that I would talk about it later on, is this.

On some occasions, you'll find that you've entered on the playlist file,
press alt+shift+M to bring up the list of place markers, and Jaws said
something funny like, "There are no place markers for the current track".

you ask yourself, hey, what gives, I just put a place marker on this file
three minutes ago.

I just went off to tell my aunt Lucille that I had a nasty rash and needed
her to bring me some Salve when she came over later for her visit, and now
this darn thing is telling me that I didn't do what I remember doing so
clearly?

Well folks, remember what I said about what playlists are...

In simple terms, they are just a laundry list of files to play in the order
you specify.  The key word being files, with an S on the end.

You see, playlist files play the tracks back to back, with no break between
tracks, so you may not have known it, but you've gone three or four files
into that book, and didn't realize it.

Heck, I'd imagine that Thea's Carnal Cravings must be an intoxicating book.
Smiles.

Suffice it to say, what you've essentially done was put a place marker in
the fourth file, and now trying to recall the place marker in the first
file, where you did not place the place marker?

Make sense?

Lord I hope so...Grins.

What you have to do is advance to the fourth file, where you did put the
place marker, then recall the place marker when the fourth file starts
playing, or what ever.

I should let you know that the keystrokes for advancing and regressing back
in a playlist are the letters B and Z, respectively.

Press the letter B to skip to the next track, and the letter Z to skip back
to the last track you just listened to.

In any case, this can be rather frustrating if you have to go through 88
files to get to the 89th file where you placed the place marker, so, as I
said, I like to delete files as I go along listening to them, to make it
easier down the road.

Keep in mind, if you find you've deleted a file accidentally, you can always
re-add the file back onto the playlist, so it isn't a total loss.

I hope I've answered your questions about playlists, how to creat them, and
how to manage them,  in this tutorial, but if I haven't, feel free to ask
on, or off list at:

scorpio...@gmail.com

Take care, and happy listening.  Smile.

Scorpio