Hi Fred,
It looks as if some of our members didn't quite understand your questions.
I'll try to help.

DIFFERENCES BETWEEN WINDOWS 7 AND 8.1
Windows 8.1 doesn't have the same setup as Windows 7.  There is no Start
menu in the same configuration.  Instead, when you press the Windows key,
you go to a list of apps which are arranged in column format.  You can still
navigate to the Desktop by pressing WINDOWS+M or WINDOWS+D. It is still
possible to move items onto the Desktop.  However, many of the things you
already have installed in your system will appear on the list as apps.  I
have Office 2010 for example and all of the separate programs are listed.
To open one, all you have to do is navigate to it and press Enter.
                The Search capability in 8.1 is great!  If you are on that
list of apps, just start typing your search term and the system will
automatically jump to the item if it is on the system.  It will also show
you documents pertaining to that item.
Once you get into any of your applications, 8.1 doesn't behave any
differently than Windows 7 did.  It's faster, much faster than Windows 7.
Accessing the Control Panel is a bhit more difficult because 8.1 divides the
listings into groups sorted by their purpose.  You can still reach the
Programs and Features list, however.
                I believe that 8.1 was designed to be more attractive to
those who would be using it on a portable device.  There are some
differences in the operations of 8.1 but essentially, it is a good operating
system.  Many people hate it, Fred.  It took some getting used to for me but
now, after working with it for a while, I find it so good that I'm in no
hurry to upgrade to Windows 10.
You were right about your older system not working with 10 by the way.  It
requires more head room than you probably have on that older system.
I hope this helps.

John and linda justice
Personal e-mail: john_just...@verizon.net