Likely there were two desktop icons for JAWS, and one was still active.

Dave Carlson

From: "Adrian Spratt" <adr...@adrianspratt.com>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2016 08:42 AM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Trouble assigning a hot key for jaws 17

What's curious in Kimber's case is that after she's removed j from the JAWS
16 shortcut and confirmed that it's gone, control-alt -j still brings up
JAWS 16. I can't figure out why that would be.

On creation of the shortcut, which it sounds like Kimber knows what to do,
I'd add a little more. Assuming I'm want alt-control-j for JAWS 17, I'd do
as Mario suggests and type just j in the edit field. Then, instead of
pressing enter or tabbing to OK, I escape out of the dialog. For some
reason, this has been the surest way I've found for making the shortcut
stick.