Thanks Gerog, Bill and Danch for your responses,
    It is all well and fine to say that sticking to the spec beans need to
be single threaded and hence locking and the other stuff. What we must also
appreciate is that for huge tables [for instance one of our tables has
around 6 million records in there] performance suffers badly. The response
time increases essentially exponentially. Since the JAWS xml does capture
whether a bean is read-only or not why not use it for these kind of cases as
well? And further I brought down my hit rate to about 10 clients at 1second.
The response time initially was around 90ms and then grew to upto 4 mins.
Trust me, it is diffcult to accept that kind of response times!!

Regards,

Vinay