Vinay see below,

-------
On checking the server log, I am getting loads of 'LOCKING-WAITING
(TRANSACTION)' messages.  And its due to this locking I presume that the
response time takes a beating.

a) Why is it not just reading data from cache?
b) Why is it locking for read only opertions?

Why is this so? All this seems very strange. Either I am missing something
or the caching is not working for high loads.

Regards,

Vinay

--------

PLEASE TURN OFF THE FREAKING HTML

Ok this is a known bug (at least to me), I have sent emails to Simone
privately when I read his code. The issue is that the logic for the lock is
a busy-wait on one thread.  You will present my apologies to Matt, while it
is not a fully busy wait (i.e. not ALL threads go in busy wait) we do have
ONE thread that ALWAYS goes in busy wait... that is REALLY bad.  It is
fixable though.

I did talk to SImone over the week (we spent most of JavaONE talking) but he
will be gone for the month, he is visiting the US and training for yet
another triathlon... I see that people are answering this, if it is not yet
fixed let me know, I believe I know the solution to that one.

marc