----- Original Message -----
From: "David Jencks" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 10:20 AM
Subject: Re: [JBoss-dev] JBossFilesystemRoot mbean and sar local
directories. (rh/3.0)

> > > directories are copied.  I think it's time for the
JBossFilesSystemRoot
> > > mbean which anyone can use to find the jboss local directory
structure.
> > > I'm thinking this would be the first mbean loaded, and could be used
by
> > > everyone else to find where stuff is.  For instance, log4j can find
its
> > > config files, the ServiceDeployer can find where to put local
> > directories,
> > > and your app can find where to look for its local directory.  Is this
> > OK
> > > with everyone?
> > No, as I may not have a usable local filesystem. Resources should be
> > loaded
> > from thread context class loader, not a filesystem.
>

> ??? Log4j can get its configuration from a classloader resource, so this
> was a bad example, however you can't deploy anything without making a
local
> copy first... so you need some kind of usable local filesystem.  Marc
> mentioned earlier that instead of relying on looking up system properites
> like jboss.system.home it would be a good idea to put this info in an
> mbean.  I'm suggesting putting the "copy of local directories" location in
> the same mbean.  Are you against the idea of copying specific directories
> out of a sar verbatim?
>
> This whole local directory thing was not my idea, however as I understood
> it David Maplesden, the Jetty guys, and Jason wanted to be able to put a
> directory in a sar that would be copied literally into the local
filesystem
> for eg. pre-setup databases, config files, native libraries, and
presumably
> things I haven't heard of.  The idea is that they would then have a
> predictable directory structure at a findable root, that they can write
> stuff into.  If there is no local filesystem available, you won't be able
> to use a feature like this, but I don't know how you can deploy anything
> into jboss either.  I'm more than happy to take it out if you get marc to
> agree.
>
> thanks
>
> david jencks

That there has to be a local filesystem is a invalid premise. That this is
required for
deployment currently is a criticism of our deployment mechanism, not a
justification for requiring a filesystem. We need to be able to run
configurations
of JBoss in environments where there is no fileystem(embedded systems,
firewalls,
other restricted systems, J2ME, etc.). Sure some services will require a
filesystem,
but this is no different from a service that requires JNDI or JMS.