David,

100% agree with you! Our architecture consists of independent services
having their own build and runtime configuration. However we also do a
master build that dynamically composes the services into one
deployment configuration.
In 3.0 it just means copying specified archives (with *-service.xml
inside) to the deploy directory. Clean and straightforward!
In 2.x we had to create an additional ANT's task that was merging the
configuration of each service into one master jboss.jcml file. Messy!

On the other hand, we are experiencing the same issue as Bill with the
need to invoke our EJB from a MBean as soon as the EJB is
deployed/available.

Jiri.