|Using a set of properties to identify an object just seems werid
|to me.  WHY
|did the JMX spec do this???  Why not just use a unique string to
|identify an
|object???  Yes, I see one reasone, so you can do querys and lookup objects
|based on properties, buy you could still do that without making the
|properties part of the identifier.

I agree.  But the work is actually good.  Classifying a name through
properties means you can have a set based representation of the naming
structure (as opposed to trees).  Maybe it is just me but from my work on a
datamining depth the tree based classifications (JNDI directories for
example) are just WEAK.  This is much more powerful.  Also you can have a
out of order string of pairs that make it easy to find stuff, the navigation
is much much simpler, trust been there, already reached that conclusion.

I don't have a problem with the theory, I believe it is the future.  I have
a problem with the implementation.  There could be a default implementation
that hashes on the string itself.  You lose the "out of order" I was talking
about just a second ago, but it is such an optimization that I don't know
why it shouldn't be done.

it is not a theoretical discusssion from my point of view. I do believe it
is a superior naming structure (sets >> trees, the bibles got that wrong)
but I am curious as to what Juha thoughts are on a possible optimization of
the creation (actually that would be enough, hash and equals are fast
enough). Just DON'T parse at creation time ???

Juha for example. By spec must we have
Domain1:name1=value1;name2=value2 == Domain1:name2=value2;name1=value1 ???

I would imagine so,

marcf