|Is there *any* way you can get the ObjectName instance to be
|serialised/deserialised in the call?

I serialize a int hash from the "ObjectName".  I used to serialize the
string that creates the Objectname, the line that is commented out, all it
does is get the string from a deserialized invocation and create a new.

The solution from lindfors is to create a map that takes a String and gives
you a cached instance on the server.
The larry solution is to do that inside the "new" i.e. if I give you a
string you know about just retrieve the parsed data and possibly just the
ObjectName inside JMX.

The reason I don't serialize the instance itself is that the client needs to
know about the ObjectName class then and I don't want to ship all of JMX to
a client.

are we in sync?

marcf