On Tue, 25 Mar 2003 01:16, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

> To Brian Wallis, even if Jboss were to get certified, it would not make
> your J2EE compliant applications portable.  Why?  There are may
> important things considered outside the specification.  For example,
> all database mappings for CMP are outside the spec, even using a
> database for CMP is outside the spec.  Then you get into things like
> exception recovery and tuning, and you are way outside the spec.
> Unless you have a very simple application it will not be portable
> without multiple configuration files and possibly a portably a
> portability layer.

Yeh, well. That doesn't mean it isn't possible and that it isn't a goal
required by more than one organisation that allows you to use software like
JBoss (and TAO, OpenORB, etc..)  See Herve Tchepannou's xpetstore for a good
non-trivial example of what can be done.

I have been writing more (and less) portable software for about 13 years now
and know what is involved. There are always difficulties. But if there are
standards used and adhered to it makes it easier. Writing an app that is
portable between a J2EE server and .NET would be far more difficult, or
portable to ObjectSpace's voyager or to a distributed agent platform, etc.
Usually you don't need to actually do it, just convince the management that
you can do it (and easily, at no cost, etc..  :-)

If JBoss adheres to the standards as they are and will be then I will be able
to keep using it. If it doesn't then (despite what I want to do) I probably
won't be given the opportunity to keep using it.

Remember, "the customer is always right and you can't always punish them for
the arrogance" (apologies to Dogbert and Scott Adams :-)