On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Tom Cook wrote:

> > Info

> > looked
> >
> > From looking at log4j I don't think I can use it.  My beans have to work in
> > various app servers, hence I can not have file io or singltons.
> >
> > Does anyone know of any non app server specific logging mechanism that does
> > not violate the EJB1.1 spec?
> >
> > I really don't want to re-invent the wheel if I can help it!
>
> Phreow!  You don't want much!  Just a generic file logging mechanism which
> doesn't access the file system...  just how do you propose to acheive
> that???  In case it wasn't reeeeeally obvious, file logging requires
> file io.
>
> You could probably write an RMI wrapper around some logging service and
> start it as an RMI server somewhere...  other than that, I think you're
> out of luck.
You could also log through JMS.
Or write a service that binds into JNDI, although that'll only work in app
servers that let you do that.

--
Dan Christopherson (danch)
nVisia Technical Architect (www.nvisia.com)

Opinions expressed are mine and do not neccessarily reflect any
position or opinion of nVISIA.

If you're a capitalist and you have the best goods and they're
free, you don't have to proselytize, you just have to wait.
-Eben Moglen