On 29/05/2014 02:57, Michael Neale wrote:

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 11:33 AM, Christopher Orr <ch...@orr.me.uk <mailto:ch...@orr.me.uk>> wrote:

    It may also be worth considering Server Sent Events — basically
    one-way "push" from the server, without all the handshaking and
    protocol upgrade fun of WebSockets.  Could be useful if clients
    are just listening for server updates, without sending anything
    (as is generally the case today).

    Last week I wrote a quick experimental plugin to stream log events
    as they happen via SSE to remote JavaScript clients for any
    running build; I was surprised how simple it was to build..

    (Though I just noticed that it has less support than WebSockets
    (thanks, Microsoft): http://caniuse.com/eventsource)

    Chris

+1 on SSE. I have a fair bit of experience with websockets on servers - enough to know that almost no one gets their proxies right - and it is a source of complaints. SSE seems to work better out of the box, alternatively long polling/comet can also work (a given jenkins master doesn't have to scale to 10s of thousands concurrent users, which is the assumption for a lot of other web choices).

Having said that, nearly halfway through 2014 websockets is probably not a controversial choice and does open up a lot of other options. If someone is accessing their jenkins via a proxy, ssl and careful configuration is required to support http upgrade and not break websocket too.
AFAIK... any proxy/gateway between the websocket client and server needs to be pretty much websocket aware. SSE would seem like a perfect fit for Jenkins since the client is listening only (not sending back to the server - could implement that on top anyway if needed). As far as I know SSE is a fancy long poll/comet style protocol and so would require the same considerations re number of concurrent users.