On Friday, May 30, 2014 2:51:15 AM UTC+10, Kevin Burke wrote:

> Hi! I am the author of Doony <http://github.com/kevinburke/doony>, a skin
> on top of Jenkins that's been downloaded/used by developers at EBay,
> Instagram, Netflix, the BBC, Panic, and other web companies, and starred by
> over 600 developers on Github. We also use it extensively at Twilio, where
> I worked until very recently.

Nice work! that is pretty solid endorsement. I quite like this - this
tackles a few pretty common annoyances in a non controversial way. I think
this, along with some of the other themes that tom has talked about could
be a great starting point.

I have tried this locally and on DEV@cloud - it seems to work - not sure if
it is the version, but there are some odd variations of font sizes on a
given page (easy fixed though, maybe is my eyes!). I really like it! Things
are far more clickable, and the console 100x more first class and visible.

If anything, I would say that taking it a tiny bit further - using some
slight background shades like the other examples work, would mean that the
tables/borders could be relaxed. This makes it even clearer what is
clickable and more "console like", for example:
https://camo.githubusercontent.com/d7600a483eb5ee599cd9d842bcbad3eea3b66b91/687474703a2f2f692e696d6775722e636f6d2f4257683555304c2e706e67
 -
the clickable and information bits are less crowded by lines grouping them
as the background does the job splitting things up.

Really impressive stuff, I like how much thought was put into it.

>     Second, I use Travis CI for building most of my Github projects, but
> one of my biggest frustrations with it is its occasional ability to pin a
> CPU, render a completely blank page, render nonsense, become unresponsive,
> etc. Travis CI is a single-page app. The failure modes of Javascript are
> legion, especially for people on flaky connections, and maybe not as well
> understood as the combination of HTML/CSS/occasional AJAX requests, for
> developers. *Jenkins' reliability in delivering a UI should be considered
> a core strength.*

Never thought of that, but that is a good point. I suspect a parallel
REST/SPA app will probably go on, but for now, I think this is a great
(probably best) place to start?

> PS: If someone from Cloudbees would be interested in helping me get a
> Doony demo running fulltime on Cloudbees, I would be very grateful.

I can help - I set it up on one of my test accounts (theme/jquery plugin
isn't enabled by default). Perhaps we could setup an OSS project to show it
off. It doesnt' interact perfectly with DEV@cloud jenkins as it has its own
css/js going on for the toolbar, so perhaps it isn't the best way to
showcase it?