On 07/03/16 18:31, Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:
Once somebody attempts to implement another one, then that effort should
help drive identifying reusable pieces. I'd love to see that happen. I
think Domi is probably right that there's some opportunities for more
reuse, and I also agree with Bobby/Manuel that users should see the
terminologies specific to their services. Fortunately, none of these
code is API, so it's relatively easy to move things around later.

OTOH, it's likely that BitBucket Org Folder plugin maintainer won't care
about GH Org Folder and vice versa, so if the code is separate, they
will be able to make decisions on their own and innovate faster, whereas
reuse would require constant collaboration which hinders velocity of
development...

You say "innovate faster", I say "create a horrible mess of inconsistent and duplicated UIs, which is a large part of why people consider Jenkins to be a disaster in terms of user experience".

e.g. this image shows (part of) what a user will see on the system config page if they install the GitHub-related plugins that will be recommended by Jenkins 2.0:
http://i.imgur.com/0Iv5lF3.png

Having had to maintain a Jenkins instance where we regularly used both GitHub and BitBucket, I wouldn't like to imagine what the UI will look like if more GitHub and BitBucket plugins like this get created, with even the same or less amount of reusability than there is now.

I do think it's probably fair enough to let plugin authors do whatever they want for many use cases, but for the really commonly used stuff — especially SCMs — there ought to be a lot more effort put into the user experience, rather than just the developers' experience.

Regards,
Chris

    Would it be possible to generalize this GH stuff a bit more? From
    what I know, most git hosting services have the notion of
    organizations,repos,PRs... eg. GH,Bitbucket,gitlab?,gitblit?
    I know GH is the most prominent, but ... yeah...
    /Domi

    <mailto:k...@kohsuke.org>> wrote:

     >> I've synced up with Jesse & Manuel offline, and now the work is
    in here if anyone is interested.

    https://github.com/jenkinsci/github-organization-folder-plugin/pull/1