My +1 for Java 8 (as I have been advocating for this for 2.0 already)

About system that don't have Java 8 in official repo (RHEL5, Debian Wheezy,
Ubuntu 14.04 LTS). Oracle do provide official JDK builds as DEB/RPM, so I
can't see this as a blocker. For sure there's IT department, one need to
convince to install a runtime that isn't part of official system
repository... but that's just organisational issue we can't fix.

About maven job type, I wonder we could add better support for toolchain so
jenkins can aytomagically select/install adequate JDK on slave, create
toolchain.xml, and maybe even inject maven-toolchains-plugin in the
lifecycle (is this possible ?). Maybe too much black magic ? Any
improvement here would help getting a smooth transition.