Yes indeed,
"OpenJDK 8 is included with RHEL 6.6 (and higher) and RHEL 7.1 (and
higher), and it is fully supported."
https://access.redhat.com/solutions/795263
java-package <https://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=java-package> is
available on jessie contrib
<https://packages.debian.org/jessie/java-package>, but java 8 is only
available on wheezy in backports
<https://packages.debian.org/wheezy-backports/java-package> repo
Ubuntu : OpenJDK 8 is still not
<https://bugs.launchpad.net/trusty-backports/+bug/1368094> available in an
official backport for 14.04. It is, however, available in 14.10 and
forwards.
OpenSuse : can't tell,
http://software.opensuse.org/package/java-1_8_0-openjdk is down for
maintenance
Gentoo : not a distro I know well, but AFAIC there's no such thing as a
LTS, so just use oracle-jdk-bin
<https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/dev-java/oracle-jdk-bin> package
FreeBSD : not sure how those handle packages vs system releases.
http://www.freshports.org/java/openjdk8 doesn't give info on system version
it applies to
OpenBSD : ?

+1 for using Java 8 for windows installer package