We recently did an upgrade to the latest 1.651.3 (latest 1.6 version) and
had performance issues. When we switched to run it on Java 8 instead of
Java 7 they all went away. We also had some plugin related problems.

I am mentioning this because this shows that all developers are using 1.8
and most testing is done 1.8 most likely as well. So from that background
any users should be running Jenkins 1.8 already. We might as well make it
official and drop 1.7 support. So

+1

Manfred