I had a conversation with Oleg about this last week in the #jenkins-community
channel, which I promised I would summarize here. After reading the JEP and
discussing with Oleg a bit, I think this is a reasonable enhancement and has
little to no negative impact, so +1.

The primary question I had was wheter JEP-3 would continue to be relevant if
Ocean, or Pipeline for example, were moved into separate JIRA projects. In
essence, would the "problem be solved" if we moved those specific plugin
subsystems to separate JIRA projects where they could consistently use the
built-in functionality within JIRA for managing versions and releases. Oleg's
proposal is still relevant and beneficial to the "long-tail" of smaller plugin
systems, and individual plugins, which may never merit a single JIRA project
unto themselves.

So yeah, +1 from my perspective to JEP-3 :)

Full log below.

01:58  <oleg-nenashev> rtyler: pong
02:02  <rtyler> I was reading JEP-3 and a question came to my mind, if we had a
separate project in JIRA for Pipeline and one for Blue Ocean (for example),
JEP-3 would
                still be necessary in your mind wouldn't it?
02:31  <oleg-nenashev> It would
02:34 @<danielbeck> for JENKINS probably, the specific projects could do it via
02:36  <oleg-nenashev> Yes, BlueOcean could switch to versions
03:10  <oleg-nenashev> I have some reservations about moving BO to a separate
project tho
03:11  <oleg-nenashev> Needs to be impkemented properly so that other plugin
maintainers are not affected
03:14  <rtyler> why would that negatively affect other plugin maintainers?
04:14  <oleg-nenashev> rtyler: Moving issues is generally more complicated than
changing the components, and it takes more time. For multi-project issues (e.g.
                       BlueOcean+SSE Gateway or BlueOcean + JIRA) it will also
require some linking between issues and other such fun
04:17  <oleg-nenashev> rtyler: There is a request from i386 about that
somewhere in the mailing lists, cannot find it. Maybe i386 wants to recover the
thread for
                       further discussion. CC danielbeck who participated in
the thread as well IIRC
04:21  <oleg-nenashev> BTW, I am not sure whether comments like "I moved to
AppVeyor" are appropriate when a core maintainer says so :(
04:21  <oleg-nenashev> But .NET stack for Jenkins is really abandoned
04:22  <oleg-nenashev> It needs a hero. A full-time hero actually, so /me shrugs
04:37  <rtyler> oleg-nenashev: I don't think i386 is going to recover the
thread, I think he was pretty frustrated with all of us for using JIRA shittily
04:37  <rtyler> (which we kinda are, for a number of reasons)
04:38  <oleg-nenashev> yeah
04:38  <oleg-nenashev> I agree with that
04:38  <rtyler> oleg-nenashev: so I was just curious whether other changes made
JEP-3 still relevant, and it seems like JEP-3 is
04:38  <rtyler> so I'm going to summarize this discussion and reply to the dev
list thread, okay?
04:38  <oleg-nenashev> fine with me
04:39  <oleg-nenashev> Generally I need somebody who is willing to be a BDFL
04:39  <oleg-nenashev> danielbeck or ogondza seem to be obvious candidates
since they handle the core JIRA crap, but they didn't reply so far. Maybe you
or ulli?
04:40  <rtyler> I don't think I spend enough time in JENKINS to rightfully
quality, sorry
05:50  <oleg-nenashev> np

- R. Tyler Croy

     Code: <https://github.com/rtyler>
  Chatter: <https://twitter.com/agentdero>
     xmpp: rty...@jabber.org

  % gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 1426C7DC3F51E16F