Thanks Oleg for driving this conversation with perseverance. There was some
initial dissent, but between a linked mailing list thread, a midnight
conversation in the Jenkins World hackhouse, and an IRC conversation, my
understanding is that he built a consensus among people such as Jesse,
James, Tyler, and Daniel.

As such, I intend to accept this soon
<https://github.com/jenkinsci/jep/pull/56>.

On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:56 AM R. Tyler Croy <ty...@monkeypox.org> wrote:

> I had a conversation with Oleg about this last week in the
> #jenkins-community
> channel, which I promised I would summarize here. After reading the JEP and
> discussing with Oleg a bit, I think this is a reasonable enhancement and
> has
> little to no negative impact, so +1.
>
> The primary question I had was wheter JEP-3 would continue to be relevant
> if Blue
> Ocean, or Pipeline for example, were moved into separate JIRA projects. In
> essence, would the "problem be solved" if we moved those specific plugin
> subsystems to separate JIRA projects where they could consistently use the
> built-in functionality within JIRA for managing versions and releases.
> Oleg's
> proposal is still relevant and beneficial to the "long-tail" of smaller
> plugin
> systems, and individual plugins, which may never merit a single JIRA
> project
> unto themselves.
>
> So yeah, +1 from my perspective to JEP-3 :)
>

> Full log below.
>
> 01:58  <oleg-nenashev> rtyler: pong
> 02:02  <rtyler> I was reading JEP-3 and a question came to my mind, if we
> had a separate project in JIRA for Pipeline and one for Blue Ocean (for
> example), JEP-3 would
>                 still be necessary in your mind wouldn't it?
> 02:31  <oleg-nenashev> It would
> 02:34 @<danielbeck> for JENKINS probably, the specific projects could do
> it via versions
> 02:36  <oleg-nenashev> Yes, BlueOcean could switch to versions
> 03:10  <oleg-nenashev> I have some reservations about moving BO to a
> separate project tho
> 03:11  <oleg-nenashev> Needs to be impkemented properly so that other
> plugin maintainers are not affected
> 03:14  <rtyler> why would that negatively affect other plugin maintainers?
> 04:14  <oleg-nenashev> rtyler: Moving issues is generally more complicated
> than changing the components, and it takes more time. For multi-project
> issues (e.g.
>                        BlueOcean+SSE Gateway or BlueOcean + JIRA) it will
> also require some linking between issues and other such fun
> 04:17  <oleg-nenashev> rtyler: There is a request from i386 about that
> somewhere in the mailing lists, cannot find it. Maybe i386 wants to recover
> the thread for
>                        further discussion. CC danielbeck who participated
> in the thread as well IIRC
> 04:21  <oleg-nenashev> BTW, I am not sure whether comments like "I moved
> to AppVeyor" are appropriate when a core maintainer says so :(
>
> https://github.com/jenkinsci/change-assembly-version-plugin/pull/17#issuecomment-364553617
> 04:21  <oleg-nenashev> But .NET stack for Jenkins is really abandoned
> 04:22  <oleg-nenashev> It needs a hero. A full-time hero actually, so /me
> shrugs
> 04:37  <rtyler> oleg-nenashev: I don't think i386 is going to recover the
> [...]
Kohsuke Kawaguchi