On Sun, Apr 8, 2018 at 12:06 PM, Jeff Wilson <geek.macb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a long running build action
> that involves sending commands to a REST API, getting the results, parsing
> them and writing out artifacts that could be used by a later build step.

Most similar functions use `SynchronousNonBlockingStepExecution` and
abort on Jenkins restart under the guess that the time window here is
pretty small and a restart in the middle is unlikely. Perhaps you can
do better if you want to put in the effort, but I am not sure how—if
you are making a REST call from the Jenkins JVM, then a restart will
of course break that TCP connection.

Simpler options:

· Use `SynchronousNonBlockingStepExecution` but have users wrap the
step in `retry` if they care enough about a single build passing. (I
have not personally tested the combination.)
· Do not bother with a step at all, or a Jenkins plugin for that
matter. Write a little Python program or whatever that does the same
thing and have people call it via `sh`/`bat`. Kills a whole flock of
birds with one little stone.