> The credentials domain syntax, IIRC something like

system:
  ? # global
  : -credentials
    # …

baffles everyone who sees it. Just because internally `credentials`
uses a `Map` from (I guess) domains to lists of credentials does not
mean you must reflect that in YAML syntax. You should rather model a
list of credentials, each of which may have an optional attribute for
the domain (ID?).

We received comparable feedback many times, it seems for most people yaml
is json without quotes, and more complex notations just confuse the reader.
In the meantime for internal design reasons we introduced a model for the
parsed yaml tree, and as a result of this feedback this model as been
limited to only support simplest structures : Lists and maps, with only
support for strings as key.

As a result, here is how a global username/password system credential entry
looks like :

credentials:
  system:
    domainCredentials:
      - credentials:
          - usernamePassword:
              scope:    SYSTEM
              id:       sudo_password
              username: root
              password: ${SUDO_PASSWORD}

> Using Job DSL Groovy to create jobs is fine as a short-term workaround
but should not be how `TopLevelItem`s are defined in 1.0 I think.

Alternate solution will require some significant changes in core (Job
hierarchy highly relies on hand-written json parsing)
For 1.0 my plan is to propose this job-dsl configuration support to be
owned by job-dsl plugin itself, so users who want to rely on it can, and
this doesn't close the door to an alternate approach in (near?) future.