(replies inline)

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018, Jesse Glick wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 4:28 PM Daniel Beck <m...@beckweb.net> wrote:
> > When I first brought up this idea with Tyler a few months ago, IIRC the
> > response (from him and/or Baptiste) was there's nothing we can
> > realistically share.
>
> OK. I hope that changes at some point.

There are a couple key differences in requirements between what Evergreen is
doing, and what Daniel seeks:

* Storage requirements: I have no intention on making promises around data
  expiration with telemetry necessary for Evergreen. Some of the feature
  development questions I would like to answer require data over a long
  timeline in order to properly answer.  My understanding of what Daniel is
  proposing would be much more targeted and specific.

* Point of observation: with Evergreen all telemetry collection, thus far, is
  done intentionally from an _external_ point of view. In essence the
  evergreen-client is what is observing a Jenkins instance outputs or makes
  availalble to it, or to other consumers, like a standard monitoring tool.
  This principle is fairly important to me, as I'm wary of a Schroedinger's
  Jenkins problem, where instrumenting Jenkins causes differing behavior from
  what other users of Jenkins core/plugins might encounter, thereby reducing
  the value of the feedback we can provide to developers.

  My understanding of what Daniel seeks to do is a fairly tight integration
  into some fairly key aspects of Jenkins core and related tooling.
  Instrumentation which I doubt would ever be accessible to anything but the
  innards of Jenkins itself.

Personally, I think both approaches are necessary for different reasons and are
independently valid.

I suggest keeping the scope for internal instrumentation small for now without
attempting to come up with the one-global-instrumentation-approach to solve all
imaginable use-cases. I trust Daniel to implement something which can grow in
the future, and may provide a foothold for future instrumentation requirments.

We have a tendency to imagine new requirements any time sommething like this
comes up, and ultimately burden the contributor with heaps of scope, leading to
nothing ultimately being done.

IMHO the scope here is narrow enough, so from my perspective, go for it Daniel!

Cheers