Dear James,

On Thu, Jun 10, 2021 at 10:34 AM jn...@cloudbees.com
<jn...@cloudbees.com> wrote:

> Thus care needs to be taken before any library is updated

Of course. Yet such care was not taken when JNR was updated in
December 2020. That is why nobody noticed that the JNR update also
pulled in a new ASM update, and that is why Token Macro broke.

We might not be happy about this, but it is too late to go back in
time. My response to this event was to make core's (de facto) exposure
of ASM explicit. I believe this will help core maintainers be more
aware of these changes in the future and avoid this type of mistake
going forward.

I note that your last message did not contain any specific concrete
action items and did not address my final paragraph. Absent us drawing
any conclusions about what I wrote about in my final paragraph, my
recommendation remains that plugins consistently follow the current
status quo of either excluding or masking Guava/ASM, which works well
enough (but not without the caveats you mentioned). I have provided an
example of how to do this for Subversion in the comments to
jenkinsci/subversion-plugin#254.

If there are any additional concrete action items that I can help with
in the short term, please let me know.

Thanks,
Basil