Hi Daniel,

thanks for trying to help, however....

On Tuesday, October 18, 2016 at 12:28:18 PM UTC+1, Daniel Beck wrote:

> > On 18.10.2016, at 00:58, Jonathan Hodgson <j.r.h...@gmail.com
> <javascript:>> wrote:
> >
> > The documentation says that File operates on "the current machine",
> which I took to mean the one actually running the code at that moment,
> which is the slave.
>
> The script _is_ evaluated on the master.

I'd worked out that this must be the case, but it wasn't clear at first. It
doesn't help that when I search for information on these things I quite
often come up with stuff that was written with reference to a system.groovy
builld step, rather than pipeline, and don't always realize when this is
the case.

> FilePath would do it,

Did you miss my last post? I tried FilePath, but I get a "unable to resolve
class" error.

And if that worked, I still wouldn't know where to get the "channel"
parameter from, since build.workspace.channel  is not valid in pipelines.

Is there any example code for this? It may be simple when you know how, but
when you don't, it isn't. And finding an answer in the sparse and
disjointed documentation isn't easy.

> or just not using Pipeline as a general purpose scripting language (it's
> not meant to be).

Why not? It seems like the obvious place to do auto-build specific work. It
seems to me that it should be an aim of the project to allow it.

Write a batch/shell script instead if you need to prepare the workspace.

Frankly, I find that a bit of a ridiculous situation. I'm in a powerfull
object oriented cross platform language, but to do anything useful I have
to drop into platform specific archaic shell environments? Writing clunky
code which has to be different for each platform (especially since I've had
zero success getting sh to work on windows, despite having cygwin, there's
another thread about that on here somewhere).