We got an 30 minute free CloudBees support. It was too short to dig deeper
to find the problem, but the person I was talking to (after examining our
logs) mentioned what he thought was the problem and gave a suggestion.

We should not use Jenkins master at all for builds (allocated with the
node("master") step). We had 15 Executors for Jenkins master.

We could also try to Increase limits of hard nofile and nproc for jenkins
user, but the main recomondation was to remove all Executors for Jenkins
master.
> /etc/security/limits.conf
jenkins          soft    core            unlimited
jenkins          hard    core            unlimited
jenkins          soft    fsize           unlimited
jenkins          hard    fsize           unlimited
jenkins          soft    nofile          4096
jenkins          hard    nofile          10240 #Was 8192
jenkins          soft    nproc           30654
jenkins          hard    nproc           60654 #Was 30654

To remove Jenkins master Executors will take some time. We use Jenkins
master when we publish our build artifacts RPMs to our NFS file storage.
Since our RPM NFS is only attached to the Jenkins master it is not possible
at the moment. Unless we can use any other agent, then do a SCP onto our
Jenkins master with the RPM artifacts.

We had a few other circumstances where we used Jenkins master. Like
checking out a file to determine which build agent to actually use. These I
have already changed to use any available build agent instead.