The nodes locales are the same.

After going back to an older version of nuget the Illegal Characters bug
went away.  However, I then got a different bug when running msbuild at the
node about Tasks being repeated or a similar message.  The new bug turned
out that I was missing the Nugget Targetting Pack.  Once that was installed
everything went back to normal.  Now that the Targets are installed, I may
try going back to the newer version of Nuget and  see f they now work.
Will keep everyone posted.