I am using the active directory plugin and found out the following debug
log output:

Resolving e-mail address for "Smith, Jim" ID=abc456
Jun 04, 2020 1:36:42 PM FINE
hudson.plugins.active_directory.ActiveDirectoryAuthenticationProvider
Login successful: abc456
dn=CN=abc456,OU=Users,OU=EXT44,OU=IN33,OU=HQ,OU=COMPANY,DC=COM
Jun 04, 2020 1:36:42 PM FINE
hudson.plugins.active_directory.ActiveDirectoryMailAddressResolverImpl
Email address = 'null'