;; I use this class as a fact elsewhere
(defclass java.Class java.Class nil)

(deftemplate temp
   (slot x)
   (slot y (type OBJECT)))

And rule like this

(defrule assert-a-temp
   =>
   (bind ?objRef (get-a-ref-to-java-class))
   (assert (temp (x "val") (y ?objRef))))

When I have (watch all) on, I see something like:
==> f-2 (MAIN::temp (x "val") (y nil))
==> f-3 (MAIN::y <Java-Object:java.Class)

When I do a match on the 'temp' fact in other rules and try to bind to the 'y'
slot value it's always nil.  Is what I'm trying doing possible/legal ?

Thanks